YMCA Camping History
History of the YMCA of Brisbane
The YMCA of Brisbane is a non profit, community service organisation under the management of a Board of Directors who are elected from within the community. In 1864 the YMCA of Brisbane was established. The fifth YMCA established in Australia. The YMCA incorporation was affected by the issue of Letters Patent to the Crown in October 1905 and is still current.
YMCA Camp Warrawee
The aboriginal meaning of Warrawee is "Come Here". The YMCA of Brisbane originally purchased the Camp Warrawee site on 2nd November 1949. The site is located in Joyner (near Petrie), on the North Pine River, adjacent to Lake Samsonvale. The development of the campsite was commenced in the 1951 and was officially opened in September 1956 by Mr Henry Dalziel V.C. and dedicated by the Anglican Archbishop of Brisbane, Dr Halse.
An early document describes the development:
Camp Warrawee is being developed by the voluntary labour and gifts of many YMCA members and friends as a War Memorial. It is dedicated, not only to the memory of men who served their country in time of war but to the development of Christian manhood and womanhood and to the building of better human relationships - that war may be no more. All who use Camp Warrawee are requested to recall these purposes and, by all their attitudes, words and actions, to reverence the place and all that it signifies.
Much of the development of the camp over the past forty years has been carried out by the voluntary labour of YMCA members and friends together with the assistance of other service organisations. Many of the cabins have plaques to recognise the generous contributions of these people and organisations.
In 1974 a 25 metre swimming pool was opened, the most ambitious camp project to that date it offers great enjoyment to all who visit the camp since it's addition. The Queensland State Government largely funded this project.
1989 saw an appeal set up to raise funds to replace and develop several facilities at the camp. This refurbishment saw work done to the dining hall, recreation hall and some of the accommodation areas. A generous grant from the Queensland State Government allowed plans to commence. The refurbished facilities were officially opened in April 1993.
2001 brought the addition of an 800m2 Sport and Recreation Hall complete with marked courts for basketball, international netball, volley ball, badminton and an indoor climbing wall. This facility was named the Jack Harris Recreation Hall in honour of a long term volunteer. The official opening was held on 24 July 2001.